Common post: Research Sheds Light On Persistent HIV Reservoir In Chatting The Way To HIV Cure
The hallmark for this declaration is that Zika virus infection has devastating consequences to include Gullain-Barre'-Syndrome, and babies being born with brain damage.
Zika virus is transmitted primarily though a bite of infected Aedes species of mosquito. Further spread can occur though:-
- Mother-to-child transmission of the virus
- Sexual contact.
- Infected blood transfusion.
- Joint pains.
- Redness of the eyes "ojos" (conjuctivitis)
- muscle pains.
- Mothers to postpone getting pregnant in affected countries until the situation is contained.
- Travel restrictions. Public advised to postpone traveling especially to Zika stricken areas.
- Sleeping under mosquito bed nets.
- Wearing long-sleeved shirts and trousers.
- Use window or door screens to keep mosquitoes away.
"I am now declaring that the reason cluster of microcephaly and other neurological abnormalities reported in Latin America following a similar cluster of French Polynesia in 2014 constitute a public health emergency of international concern."Dr. Chan further defined the events of complications following Zika virus infection as an extra-ordinary event and termed it as a public health threat to world at large. She added that a coordinated international response is needed to minimize the threat in affected countries and reduce the risk of further international spread.
Zika virus infection has been associated with devastating complication to include:-
- Microcephaly associated with neurological deficits, small head with receding face, seizures, mental retardation, delayed milestones, The child may also exhibit exaggerated motor functions like hyperactivity.
- Guillain-Barre'-Syndrome has also been reported in cases suspected to have Zika virus infection.
7 Minute Workout Health Challenge App (An App for health)
The Grim Side Of Beauty Products
Alcohol Blackouts- 10 avoidable risk factors
Microcephaly- Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Address: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microcephaly
Zika Virus- Wikipedia, The free encyclopedia. Address: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zika_virus.
Zika- Centres for Disease Control and Prevention. Address: http://www.cdc.gov/zika/index.html.
Zika-linked condition: WHO declares global emergency- BBC News. Address: http://www.bbc.com/news/health-35459797.